 General / 19872
RE: Building the A10 Thunderbolt "Warthog"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:17:15 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Marc Cook [mailto:marccook@mindspring.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2000 2:14 PM
To: lugnet.build@lugnet.com; lugnet.general@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: Building the A10 Thunderbolt "Warthog"

In lugnet.build, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Mark Sandlin wrote:
In lugnet.build, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
Or have I seriously misconceived the size of the gun? • I'm not really an
aviation buff, but I was thinking that the gun was a six • barrel 20mm,
which isn't _that_ large...  I think.
It's a 30mm with seven barrels. But I agree the technic • pulley would be
too large. sometimes I make gatling cannons with a 2x2 • turntable, and a
couple of 2x2 round plates with a handful of 1x1 cylinders • to simulate the
"barrels." you only end up with 4 barrels, but it looks • neat. A technic axle
would probably be closest, scale-wise.

Really?  I recently (a few years ago) put my head up to the • muzzle (good thing
it was parked and unloaded, eh? :-) and it was *totally* • huge.  20 or 30mm per
barrel is probably close, but the cannon assembly is much • bigger.  The 2x2
would actually be a lot closer in scale.  You could probably • get away with 4
technic axles to represent the barrels, or maybe even 7 • axles held together by
a rubber band inside the fuselage.

_Smithsonian_ magazine had a fun article on the A-10 a year • or two ago, with
some discussion on the Warthog's new lease on life due to • its performance
during Desert Storm, and on the evolution of the Nighthog. • The article
probably got most of its material from, I dunno, _Stars & • Stripes Presents
Military Aviation and Arms Weekly_ or some such, but it was • still a good read.

Cheers,
- jsproat

Ah yes --- I like the idea of using 7 technic axels with a
rubber band.
While a solution -- I falter back and forth with the idea of using
"other than lego" solutions to model design problems.

it's a moral issue perhaps.  =)

- Marc

An easy way around this...use one of the elastic bands from a lego set...It
must be lego, as it's part of the set and required for the model. [and I
doubt lego would include something that wasn't at least authorized by the
company :) ]

Hope this helps :)

[Sorry about this not threading.]

Benjamin Whytcross
BWhytcro@PacificAccess.com.au
Ph: (03) 9856 5282
Directory Technology Pty Ltd
1/436 Elgar Road,
Box Hill, 3128

Growing older is compulsory..Growing up isn't :-)