 General / 19858
RE: More on Lego becoming a household name? Brand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 23:51:24 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Karius [mailto:mjkarius@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2000 7:37 AM
To: lugnet.general@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: More on Lego becoming a household name? Brand

I think Lego is well on its way towards meeting its goal.
I'll bet that if you
ask almost any parent if they know what Legos are they'll say
yes.  I think the
same could be said for most kids but they have to make the
kids want the sets.
I'd like to see Lego put out more generally available train
sets.  These would
appeal to kids on two fronts 1 - they're Legos and 2 -
they're trains.  Trains
have a strong appeal for many kids.  I'd also like to see
them create a new
town line that lets you create a whole town, police station,
fire station,
hospital, school, stores, library, park, houses, buses, cars
and trucks.  While
each set can stand on its own, its even more fun as you add
to your town.
This could lead to kids wanting to get additional sets to add to their
collection and expand their town.  Most sets today don't have
any direct
relationship to each other, yeah they're the same general
theme but they
weren't designed to work together.  BTW these should NOT be
town jr. and the
buildings should be more substantial than recent offerings,
ie not mostly just
an almost all window facade.

I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but I know that the current town
Jr buildings actually resemble the current sonstruction style, where most
businesses and even some houses are built from large concrete slabs [1x6x5
bricks] that are trucked to the site. These are then raised and cemented
together. If there are more floors, a concrete slab is placed on top of the
anchored walls, and the process is started again. Then, when all the walls
are in place, large glass windows are places in the sections without
concrete walls. Given that this is how modern buildings are now made, I
think it makes sense for TLG to produce sets using this building technique
[I liked the Bank, as it was a realistic looking building. I didn't like the
set, as the 'ATM' should have been in the wall and not seperate, and the van
was one of the worst designed vehicles I'd seen [as were all the original
Town Jr vehicles...They are picking up their game.]] What they now need is a
set with a truck transporting wall sections and a crane to use to put them
in position. [like one of the 1xxx town sets from the 80's (soory, can't
remember set number.). [1]]

[1] which shows this building style has been used for a while...ideas book
6000 also shows a house being built this way. [I wouldn't mind seeing TLG
releasing a group of different houses without furniture and minifigs, and
having furniture packs [containing furniture like that in 6000] and minifig
packs, so you could choose your own furniture for your buildings, and get
whichever people you wanted to live there [or as most of us would probably
do, build the houses for our already large town population who currently
sleep in their vehicles (if they have them)]]

Benjamin Whytcross
BWhytcro@PacificAccess.com.au
Ph: (03) 9856 5282
Directory Technology Pty Ltd
1/436 Elgar Road,
Box Hill, 3128

Growing older is compulsory..Growing up isn't :-)