 General / 1982
Re: LEGO Competition? Nah.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:28:45 GMT

Jeff Johnston wrote in message <369B9CFD.E4607AE6@mediaone.net>...
:In any case, I happened across the Mega Bloks Viking Ship while
poking
:about, and despite the incredibly cheap price tag (~$8 for 350+
pieces)
:I just couldn't bring myself to buy it.

Jeff, I got one of the Viking ships for $8 and would buy another for
say $5.

:First thought, upon seeing the MBfig: Daaaaamn.  He done fell out of
the
:Ugly Tree an' hit every single branch on the way down.  Now I
understand
:someone's comment about MB sets: "If it has a minifig, you'll wish it
:didn't."

It's true the MB figs are the worst. However, they have cool
accessories, especially the Vikings. Great big broad swords that work
with TLG minifigs (4 in that set) and really nice leather armor, not
being a castle type I use them as bullet proof vests on my TLG cops,
(3 in that set) and some neat Viking hats (3 or 4 in the set) and a
red cape which will fit a TLG minifig.

:Second thought, after finding a piece out of the bag: There's just...
:something...different about the Mega Bloks pieces.  It's probably a
:difference in the type of plastic they use, but the piece (a 2 x sthg
:plate) felt extremely light and even fragile.  I wasn't about to test
:the strength, but it certainly didn't seem up to LEGO standards,
that's
:for sure.  It also had an odd sort of 'waxy' feel - not sure what to
:make of that, but I don't think I liked it.

Yeah, my wife and kids hold MB in contempt because they are not
polished and shiny even worse is that some of the pieces just won't
stick together, though I've had no problem with the Viking ship.

:Anyway, back to the viking ship.  I'm really not too sure what
exactly
:it was that turned me off so badly - I mean, c'mon, it was only $8
and
:I've wanted a LEGO pirate ship for, well, quite a long time now.
:(Someday I'll be willing to pay the exorbitant auction rates...or,
:hopefully, Pirates will return as rumor has  it they will) - but the
:Mega Bloks viking ship just left me cold.  Part of it, I'm sure, was
:the packaging.  Part was the difficulty of building any alternate
:models given the pieces (at least, judging from what I could see on
the
:box.  Was this a problem with the LEGO pirate ships as well?  I can
see
:where it might be.)  Part of it was the piece quality that I saw in
the
:opened MB tub.  But, based on all of those factors, I'm going to have
:say that I think you get what you pay for, and LEGO hasn't yet
reached
:the point where it's not worth the money for me to go with it.

For all of the complaining about specialized pieces in TLG, MB goes to
both extremes without any of the middle. They have the wildest
specialized pieces that are not good for much else, and then they make
big complicated stuff out of a hundred 1x4 plates viz. the cross bars
on the Viking ship. I think the Viking sail is really cool. It is
worthless for anything else. We make frequent use of the hull and mast
however. For $8 you may want to see if your gf wants lunch again after
the followup visit and nab that baby for the parts.

DJ Zorn

To locate scans of official instructions
for discontinued sets only go to:
http://www.kl.net/scans/