 General / 19817
Re: Brickshelf instructions (was: One website...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 10:40:52 GMT

In lugnet.general, Charles Adams writes:
Various snippage to get to the meat of the issue

Direct information on this is provided by Lego on their web site:
http://www.lego.com/info/fair.asp

""Scanning Of Copyrighted Materials Into A Web Site

The LEGO Group owns the copyrights to its building instructions, publications
and to the photographs used in our catalogs and on our packages. Copying,
scanning and distributing these materials on the Internet would be an
infringement of our copyrights. Nevertheless, at the present time the LEGO
Group does not object to scanning of limited extracts of these materials in
unaltered form for non-commercial purposes of exchange of information or good
faith commentary. However, scanned /images/info should not be given such
prominence as to indicate sponsorship of the Web site by the LEGO Group. We
would ask that the photographs be scanned without distortion or overemphasis
of the LEGO logo. A disclaimer and notice must appear indicating that the
copyrights are owned by the LEGO Group (e.g. LEGO Group. This is an
independent site not authorized or sponsored by the LEGO Group").""

As far as these statements are concerned there is no reason to believe that
someone can not upload current instructions. Brickshelf does upload current
Catalogs and these are also protected. The truth of the matter is you still
need Lego bricks to make any of the sets.

Whist it is clear the TLC has no problem with brickset, this line did catch my
eye:

Group does not object to scanning of limited extracts of these materials in
unaltered form for non-commercial purposes of exchange of information or good
faith commentary.

"limited extracts" being the important part.

I suppose LEGO's main worries would be a web site which looked like it was a
Lego site, or an anti-lego site (perhaps one along the line of the
anti-Microsoft see http://www.netaction.org/msoft/index.html or anti-amazon
sites see www.noamazon.com etc). But I suppose they could do what GL did a few
years ago with SW and close down all sites using their copyrighted materials.

Scott A

Scott A

Charles Adams

...except for every RECENT set.  And it will apparently stay that way.  See <
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/README>:

"3. Do not upload scans for current sets.  This means sets released
   in 1997 or later.  The exception to this rule is "Promotional"
   sets (the Soccer Stadium for example) which are not available
   through normal retail outlets."

I speculated about the reason for this a while ago here on Lugnet, though I
don't remember whether anyone confirmed or denied my suspicion.  Kevin Loch • is
providing a wonderful service to the online Lego community with Brickshelf --
however, he IS posting copyrighted Lego material.  I'm guessing that TLC
probably asked Kevin to shut down completely when they first discovered him.
After all, if you already own a bunch of parts, you might be able to build a • set
you didn't buy, if only you knew what went into it.

--
John J. Ladasky Jr., Ph.D.