 General / 19815
19814  |  19816
Subject:
Brickshelf instructions (was: One website...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 09:11:22 GMT

In lugnet.town, Drew Lawrence writes:
In lugnet.town, Rose Charette writes:
Hi! I am new to collecting Lego and I need building instructions for 6441 Deep
Reef Refuge and 6451 River Response, I have spent hours searching the web and
have had no luck. Any info you can give would be grealy appreciated. Thanks in
advance, Rose.

http://www.brickshelf.com/

They have almost every Lego instruction manual scanned in....

...except for every RECENT set.  And it will apparently stay that way.  See <
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/README>:

"3. Do not upload scans for current sets.  This means sets released
    in 1997 or later.  The exception to this rule is "Promotional"
    sets (the Soccer Stadium for example) which are not available
    through normal retail outlets."

I speculated about the reason for this a while ago here on Lugnet, though I
don't remember whether anyone confirmed or denied my suspicion.  Kevin Loch is
providing a wonderful service to the online Lego community with Brickshelf --
however, he IS posting copyrighted Lego material.  I'm guessing that TLC
probably asked Kevin to shut down completely when they first discovered him.
After all, if you already own a bunch of parts, you might be able to build a set
you didn't buy, if only you knew what went into it.

Sets that were manufactured back in 1997 are often still for sale.  Kevin and
TLC have probably reached an amiable compromise.  If there's no longer much
possibility that you might be able to buy a particular set from a retailer, then
it's O.K. to share the instructions.  Otherwise, hands off the intellectual
property.

Does anyone know whether we'll be able to start uploading scans from 1997 next
year?

Followups set to lugnet.general.

--
John J. Ladasky Jr., Ph.D.