 General / 19722
Re: A part question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 19:44:05 GMT

In lugnet.general, Rob D. wrote:

Most are probably familiar with the cooler style palm trees, with the  brown
segmented trunks.

I have noticed the little brown cone piece from these trunks in a couple
Technic sets, except it is black or gray.

Is this the same piece, or is it slightly different than in the tree trunks?
I have noticed that a technic rod seems to go into the black ones better
than the brown, and when I put them all together in one trunk and flex, the
break seems to always be a a black one.

I tried looking inside both, and I can't decide if the brown is really
lacking something that appears to be in the black, or is just not molded as
clearly...

Actually, there are (at least) three different variations of this part.

In all versions of the part, the "horn" is the same.  It is 4 plates tall,
or 32 LDraw units (LDU).

The Technic version has tabs inside, to lock a crossaxle in place.  It is 5
plates (40 LDU) tall.

The two non-Technic versions vary in the lock-section.  One version is
exactly like the Technic version.  The other has a longer 'ball', and is
43-44LDU tall.

Steve