 General / 19185
Re: Is it the I's? or the Butts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 14:46:44 GMT

In lugnet.general, Frank Filz writes:
David Eaton wrote:

In lugnet.general, Frank Filz writes:
Mookie wrote:

Those of us glued to the webcams during brickfest have pulled together
the best shots and posted them on Brickshelf!

We dare you to NAME THOSE BUTTS!!!!!

go to http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=691

Next time Guys, can we get the camera's a little higher??? be glad we
didn't do a name that crotch contest ;=)

Next year, I could bring a tripod which would help some, but I'm sure
there are other folks who could bring some lighting stands of some sort
which would allow the cams to be at or above head height. Of course one
will still get a lot of caboose shots, but at least one would avoid the
up close and personal butt and crotch shots...

Better yet, how about a Mindstorms controlled mobile platform with the new
Lego-cam mounted on it?! And have people control it via a web interface!
They can raise, lower, and rotate the camera, and get it to travel around
the room! Ok, so that'd be just plain silly, but cool nonetheless! :)

The problem with that would be that the camera would be pretty low to
the floor. Then you might get some nice "up the skirt" shots....

Oh I'm sure we could get one that would be raisable between 3 and 5 feet or
so-- it'd just take a lot of technic 1x4 racks and geared down motors! The main
problem is just getting two web clients fighting over which direction the 'bot
should go in! Need to make it a Java applet that connects to a server so that
people can connect from different browsers, and it posts a list of the current
queue of commands and... wait... just have several-- each dedicated to an IP!
Yeah! That's the ticket! Sorry, this is just getting way to silly :) That's why
I like Lego! You can do that sort of thing :)

What
would be nice though would be a platform which would at least allow one
to pan the camera (someone here at IBM has/had a webcam in their lab
which you could pan from the web interface). Then at least if someone
was standing in front of the camera, you could try and look at something
else in the room.

Guess we just need 15 cameras in the room... THAT'll solve the problem! :)
[changes the 'avg. amount of money spent at BrickFest by a good margin tho!]

DaveE