 General / 18821
Re: Q: Customizing your minifigs?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 00:58:23 GMT

In lugnet.general, Aaron West writes:
Hello all, I have been toying with an idea today, but I don't know how to
begin.  I would like to create a series of Batman and DC comics characters out
of my spare minifigs, eventually a whole Batman universe (gads, that means
I'll have to become a Townie!).  HOW does one go about painting or paint prep
work on ABS plastic?  Has anyone made a set of guidelines so I can keep from
repeating the mistakes others have found?  I have worked with customizing
action figures before, very little LEGO repaint work (how can I make them near
factory quality?) in my pre-teen years.  I am hoping that someone may be able
to help me.
"Help me Obi-Wan, you're my only hope...", Princess you-know-who.
Thanks a bunch,
Aaron

The best tips I can give, though I'm nowhere near Craig's skill, is to try to
paint as little as possible. Try to get the right color base minifig parts and
then start painting. This saves paint and plastic. I also recommend Testors
brand model paint. It is easy to maipulate, dries past, and hasn't damaged the
plastic yet during my experience with it. For most details, I use a toothpick,
but if the details are extremely small, you'd be better off with a Paint
program and printing the details and gluing them on. Hope that helps.
Greg "Go slow! Slooooow, dang it!" Majewski
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dome/1888/abs.html