 General / 1871
Re: Some Running Thoughts about THROWBOTS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 23:06:46 GMT

"Richard Wright" <rwright@pcsedu.com> writes:

[snipped informal review of Throw Bots]

Richard,

Does the message you just posted to the .announce group really qualify as a
"general-interest announcement to the community (breaking news about
products, releases, contests, events, and sites, etc.)" ?

It seems more to me like something that belongs in the .reviews newsgroup.
Please review this page for a list of groups and their purposes:

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/groups/

lugnet.announce is intended to be very low traffic newsgroup reserved only
for truly general-interest *announcements*.

Please only use the .announce group for postings when you are really sure
that what you are posting belongs there.  If in doubt about where to post,
please ask.  I'd really hate to have to moderate the .announce group to keep
the noise levels down.

Thanks,
--Todd

p.s.  It appears you also set the 'Followup-To' field to "group" -- which is
not a valid newsgroup name.  The 'Followup-To' field is supposed to contain
the name of a newsgroup where replies will be directed for follow-up
discussions (to ensure that discussions don't ensue in the the .announce
group).  For example, the 'Followup-To' field on this article is set to
lugnet.admin.general.