 General / 1845
Re: Postage Rate Increase
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 03:09:18 GMT

Gary Louie <GaryLouie@EarthLink.Net> writes:

Just a reminder to those running auctions:

There is a Postal increase that takes effect 10 January 1999.

This will affect First Class and Priority Mail at least.  I do not know
if Parcel Post is also going up or not.

Certified mail fees, Registered Mail, Insurance Fees, and return receipt
fees have also gone up.  I do not see anything on International Mail,
but suspect that the special fees have also gone up.

People running auctions that are ending this week might want to consider
doing as much mailing as possible on or before Saturday.

I'm not looking forward to getting new $3.20 Priority-Mail stamps!  :-(

But one thing that's neat is that even though the basic rate for a 1-oz.
letter is going up from $.32 to $.33, the additional ounces are actually
going down from $.23 to $.22 -- so all the left-over $.23 stamps I have will
still work fine.  :)

There also seems to be a new type of Return Receipt.  This one is marked
"Return Receipt for Merchandise".  Anyone know anything about this one?
It costs more than a normal "Return Receipt", so I don't know what
additional value or service is involved.

I don't know either -- but you just gave me a perverse thought -- a
newsgroup dedicated to the fine art of shipping.  (As esoteric as the
storage newsgroup.  :)

TODD  LEHMAN:  Have you updated the shippinX-Mozilla-Status: 0009
                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Looks like something got cut off there --

But if you were asking whether I updated the shipping tables for AucZILLA
VII/IX/etc.(?)...  No, I'm going to keep them the same -- (and actually, I'm
going to reduce the S&H cost calculations for shipping to Canada a bit --
someone convinced me that they were a bit high for small packages).  For
future auctions (X and up), after more actual data is available for
comparison after VIII and IX ship, maybe the calculations will need to be
tweaked a couple percent upward...we'll see...I'd rather not tinker with it
much.

--Todd

Gary
GaryLouie@EarthLink.Net