 General / 17541
17540  |  17542
Subject:
Old LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 14:08:28 GMT

   I have new info regarding the "first LEGO Castle".  On my webpage, I have
pictured (1) what I had considered to be the first LEGO Castle, pictured in an
ancient Model Book (it's not a catalog).  However, I found a picture today of a
LEGO Castle prior to that one!
   According to the book, "The World of LEGO Toys" (1999, no author given, DK
Books) the LEGO "Ferguson" Tractor was one of the first plastic LEGO toys
(shown on page 12).  The item number of that tractor is #676.  The duck shown
on the preceding page of the above mentioned book is one of LEGO's very first
wooden toys (it's very similar to the Fisher Price pull toy that came out
around the same time).  It's item number was 482.  Interestingly, I have also
found pictures of some LEGO guns (a rifle and a handgun), from the late forites
and early fifties... its funny how history can be rewritten.  But I digress,
   The first Lego Castle, with my current knowledge and information
(photocopies of an old Danish catalog), is LEGO #311, and needless to say I
would like to buy it.  It's not a LEGO set, but a LEGO toy - meaning it's not
comprised of bricks, but is a plastic structure from an earlier era of LEGO.
It was produced in 1953 and 1954.  Thanks, John

1 - http://www114.pair.com/ig88/lego/ib60/index.htm
   The pamphlet pictured there, I have narrowed down the date on - it was
published sometime between 1958 and 1960.  At one time I thought it may have
been made as early as 1955, but that's not possible.