 General / 17466
17465  |  17467
Subject:
ZNAP Geometries
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 09:04:39 GMT

All-

Since this post has elements of about ten different newsgroups in it,
I'll just post it here in .general and see where it rolls.

I just took advantage of the TRU BOGO-50 sale and picked up a heapin'
helpin' of ZNAP.  These are really nice things, well-constructed and
geometrically very interchangeable.  Given that a lot of US LUGNETters
probably have a little bit of ZNAP now, my questions are thus:

-Has anyone yet integrated ZNAP into a sizeable System (or Technic)
project or vehicle?  Or used System pieces to augment ZNAP?  (I'm
working on it now, by the way.)  Is it useful for architectural elements
that are otherwise difficult to render in System elements?

-Related to the first question, what geometrical relationships have
people noticed about ZNAP?  For example, the most obvious is the Technic
axle/peg compatibility; but I have also noticed that if you take 2x2
tiles with a top peg and put them through the holes, you can affix the
tiles to a plate--the ZNAP holes are the proper distance, not on some
new scale.  This even holds true when one sticks parts together in most
ways!  Also, the purple and grey "connector" pieces' "studs" (what are
those things, prongs?) will fit and hold reasonably in a full-height
square brick as if it were a stud.  (They won't fit into brick tubes or
cylinders, however.)  I have been trying to eyeball the beam thickness's
relationship to System elements but haven't come up with anything good
yet.

In any case, I'm happy with ZNAP.  Quite a bargain, too!

best

Lindsay