 General / 17218
Re: Who was on TV?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 16:11:30 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Brian Sauls wrote:

One of my cooks, knowing of my (ahem) addiction, came to me today and told
me that yesterday she saw an interview on television of an older man,
business executive type, who was also addicted to the brick.

I couldn't get much (helpful) information out of her (what was the show,
what channel, what time of day), but she said that apparently he had
received some Lego as a gag gift some years ago and now had an impressive
town/train layout in his basement.  Apparently, none of his coworkers are
aware of his hobby.  She thinks that he owns his own business.

I wish she could remember the program--she thought it might have been Good
Morning America, or some other program along those lines, but the above is
all she could remember. I wondered if it was Steve Jackson or perhaps Gary,
but the more I thought it about it, I don't of anybody here who keeps their
hobby in the closet.

So, my questions are:  What was the program?  Did anybody tape it?  And do
we know this person?

Brian (bbq) Sauls
(I'll have to grill her again tomorrow--and if I don't get satisfactory

No, it wasn't me.  My secret came out in 1987 in a news story on the Canadian
news show (like 60 Minutes) called the Journal, and then in The World of LEGO
Toys.  And I have been out in the open about it ever since.

In fact over the weekend I found a work Telephone Memo from our office
secretary dated June 4, 1986 from a Mr. Henry Wiencek (author of The World of
LEGO Toys) about a book on LEGO that he wanted to interview me for.......

Hmmmmmm, maybe I should call the number and see if he is still there.... maybe
ask him if he'd be interested in a book about AFOLs and the LUGNET
community.....

Gary Istok