 General / 16708
Re: How bad does fire damage Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 02:46:48 GMT

As a Michigander/ganian (though an EMU undergrad and MSU grad) and a sufferer • of
LEGO contamination, I feel your pain.  I hadn't heard about the dorm • fire--which
one was it?

  The fire was in Hoekje Hall

(I'm in NJ, so they're still talking about Seton Hall; I hope it
wasn't nearly that bad).  I had a sewage issue, and I can tell you that sewage
smell doesn't stick to LEGO once it's washed.  The boxes, of course, were • another
matter; fortunately most didn't get inundated, but the two that did were total
losses (but not the pieces themselves).

Pieces may be washed in warm mildly soapy water as per TLG's own suggestion, • but
again, boxes are trickier.  How much soot is on the boxes?  From my own fire
experience, I was able to first brush off the soot and then use a very light
solvent--a tiny spray of Windex, almost dry--on a soft cloth to wipe the • remaining
streaks and soot marks off.  Don't put the solvent right on the box as that • will
cause it to blister, and don't use a cheap paper towel or rag as that will • scratch
the box.  It worked for other gloss-surface printed boxes, so I don't know why • it
wouldn't work for LEGO boxes.  In any case try it on a little box first, • something
you're not too worried about.

Anyhow, just my suggestion, based on unscientific data on a LEGO box analogue.
Good luck!

best

Lindsay

Well, I took your advise.  I found that using a cloth dampened with a cleaning
solvent (I used the works,) and not brushing the loose soot off worked the
best.  The first box I tried was one I planned on opening and I found that when
you brushed the soot off some of it tended to get trapped in the folds of the
cardboard.  By just using the cloth it lifted the soot off. Of course it also
got the cloths dirtier faster so I was using a couple of clothes per box.
  We've had a professional cleaning company here and the head guy overheard
some of my friends joking with me about having my lego cleaned.  He came up and
informed me that he's cleaned his share of lego in the past and that they have
a specific machine that is designed to clean in small spaces like between
bricks.  He said it was also capable of getting dirt and soot out of the bottom
of bricks.  Which I know I've had problems accomplishing in the past.

Jeff