 General / 14803
Re: This dropped out of the papers this weekend...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 16:40:31 GMT

Yep, my parents are German Protestant stock, so we open presents (except for the
big "Santa" presents) on Xmas Eve, but my wife's family opens them on Xmas day.

We compromised - we open my family's presents on Xmas Eve, and her's on Xmas day
;-)

Gary Istok wrote:

It is the same custom in Germany.  And it doesn't matter if you are Catholic
or Protestant (Lutheran).  My father's family is Catholic, my mother's family
is Lutheran.  The customs are the same in both sides.  This custom has
continued since moving to the USA 40 years ago.  The great thing about being a
child in the USA with German relatives is that you get to open presents on
Christmas Eve, and again on Christmas morning (celebrating both German and
American customs).

Gary Istok