 General / 14714
Re: Freaky custom mini-sized Lego bricks?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 16:07:31 GMT

John Gerlach wrote:

In lugnet.general, Arjan Brugman writes:
Has anyone ever tried to make their own bricks, using custom moulds?

I have this growing fantasy about half-sized (ofcourse not too small to build
with) Lego bricks. Imagine building a great castle which fits in the palm of
your hand!

Have you ever seen the 'Modulex' bricks?  I believe Lego made them back in the
early 1960's, they were designed for use by architects to build models.
They're about 60% the size of standard Lego bricks.  I wish I had a link, but
I don't even know where to start looking!

JohnG, GMLTC
   (lose the '.nospam' to reply...)

I talked with some European AFOLs.  It seems that Modulex came out around the same
time as small plates.  The short lived Architectural sets (#750, #751, #752),
which consist of nothing more than 1x1, 1x2, 2x2, 2x3 and 2x4 plates were came out
in 1963 (along with the #518, #519,#520 and #521 plates parts packs that came in
the plastic clear boxes with the 8x11 grey plate bottom to the box).  These
Architectural LEGO sets may have been the precursor to Modulex, but with both
series supposedly starting at the same time, I tend to think that maybe they were
both released at the same time, possibly one intended for architectural students,
the other for architects.

The Architectural LEGO set series was a failure.  It only lasted from 1963-65.
Because it was a failure, there were a lot of surviving parts packs from this
era.  One can pick up a piece of this fascinating line of LEGO for a relatively
modest investment of  $12-25 for one of these very interesting parts packs.  The
higher end price would be for clear plates, which are always at a premium.  These
can be seen quite often on EBAY.  Note:  the one color that you won't find in this
architectural line is yellow.  There were never any yellow plates or bricks as
part of this series.  Yellow plates were available in the regular cardboard box
parts packs of that era (with the same parts box numbers).

The Modulex sets were, I believe (unlike the LEGO Architectural sets) not sold or
marketted to the public, but only to architectural businesses.  But I have no
documentation on this line, so I can't say when it was discontinued, or even what
colors the pieces came it.

Gary Istok