 General / 14367
Re: I picked up this 60's ad on ebay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 16:40:25 GMT

My guess was going to be 1960-62 (the years for the red "sliding drawer" type
parts packs), but few people know UK old LEGO as well as Phil does.  Hey Phil,
that larger set looks like a 700/x set (possibly 700/2, 700/3, 700/3a, or
700/5?).

It is interesting to note that the design on the larger box is one of those 20
or so, 50's - 60's designs that keeps reappearing on different sets.  That same
box cover not only shows up on one or more of the 700/x series sets in the UK,
but also on the USA Samsonite 703 set of 1961-65, the European parts pack boxes
(of the type shown in the advertisement), as well as the instruction/contents
sheet for the 712 German Wooden box gift set from 1962-64.  LEGO kept reusing
the same designs for many different sets throughout the world back then.  But I
really do love the artwork of these pictures.

Also, the nice thing about this picture is that it shows the 60's parts pack
boxes lying around the LEGO castle.  This sure beats the polybags that service
packs come in today.   My first LEGO sets (when I was 6) back in 1960 (from my
Grandfather and Uncle from Germany) were almost identical to all the sets shown
in this picture. Deja Vu!

And a final item, the castle pictured here is probably the earliest example of a
LEGO castle.  This castle is pictured in a 1960 "model" catalog that I got from
a Belgian LEGO dealer.  It seems that LEGO had a few dozen different models of
buildings that they had available for store displays, as well as catalog
displays.  John DiRienzo had this same blue catalog pictured on his website, but
I can no longer find it.  Hey John, can you post the website address of the
catalog again? - Thanks!

Scott, thanks for sharing this wonderful piece of UK LEGO History.

I would love to get a lot of miscellaneous LEGO ads and the such together into
an online LEGO Gallery.  I have a 1962 Samsonite ad of the same type as this
one, as well as a few other old diagrams/catalogs/etc.  It would be great to
have a LEGO Picture Gallery under LUGNET, wouldn't it?

Thinking out loud again!
Thanks,

Gary Istok

Phil Traviss wrote:

My guess would be the second 1/2 of 1961. The price range in the first 1/2
of 1961 for the basic sets was 45/- to 10/6 and changed to 45/6 to 10/9 for
the second 1/2. However these prices carried on thru 1962, but by then there
would have been wheels and would for sure have featured prominently in the
ad, which they don't.

Hope that helps,

Phil.
PS: I assume you realise it's just a page of a Magazine - most likely a
woman's magazine - probably She or Woman's Realm.