 General / 1425
Re: Lego Meta Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 03:50:24 GMT

Justin M. Kopp wrote in message
<3675ACE6.1098A924@projsolutions.com>...
:But, as shown in a recent thread
:either here on on RTL, it could effect what is considered to be a
*real*
:set, ei, buying the galxy explorer in '79.  People could buy the
"meta"
:set and then build the explorer, then auction it saying "Galaxy
:Explorer.  Good condition.  No Box, instructions printed from
kl.net."
:It could kill the value someone has in their oringanlyy bought set.

I'm trying to think whether the idea should be appealing to TLG.
Afterall, *that* is what is ultimately going to come out.

I think it would. Viz the following:

1. Several toy makers are doing this sort of thing. Tonight I saw the
"same" GI JOEs that my brother and I had as kids near the end of the
Vietnam War. There was an Encyclopedia of GI JOE stuff throughout
history. Etc. It brought back lots of great memories.

2. As long as they didn't extend this plan to anything too recent (in
collectors terms that may mean the last 20-25 years), then it should
not have much effect on TLG profits to devalue the existing stock of
old sets. What they have to be concerned about is people not buying
today because they figure it will be made available in the future. I
doubt that collectors make up enough of the TLG sales to make them
worry about irritating such people.

A couple reasons to doubt the plan.

1. If TLG really believes in its new themes then bringing the old out
is not a great idea. It would create canibalizing within the brand.
(Help me out marketers, isn't that what it is called?)

2. You don't see really currently successful brands doing this.
Barbie. Look at all the stuff they churn out so often. Certainly some
people would really like to get their hands on the first Barbie maxi
dress or halter top or whatever. But to my knowledge Barbie never
looks back at any of those broken hearts. GI JOE on the other hand was
pretty much a dead brand when they started reissuing the old sets. (Is
he called GreI Joe? 8-b )

DJ Zorn