 General / 1419
Re: Lego Meta Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 22:31:37 GMT

Thomas Main <main@appstate.edu> wrote:
set and then build the explorer, then auction it saying "Galaxy
Explorer.  Good condition.  No Box, instructions printed from kl.net."
It could kill the value someone has in their oringanlyy bought set.

just my 2 cents

Yes, it would kill the auction market.  However, I think most people who
participate in the auction market do so to further enrich their
collections.  This would be an alternative way to do that.

Yeah, it would dampen the auction market, but I don't think most
regular auctioneers would mind.  Take the 367 that I bought today
after finding out it might be desirable.  All I really cared about
getting out of it was my money back since my coworkers made the trip
for me.  Well, I'm getting some money back and a trade, and I'm happy,
and the person getting it will be happy.  Net gain to me - little, but
some cool pieces in the trade set.  Net gain to the person getting it?
Probably a lot since you don't find these often.

If TLG released 367 as a re-released set, I would have never sent them
to go buy it, and the trade wouldn't have happened, but I wouldn't
mind and the person getting the used version could probably buy a
couple of them brand new.

Now parts auctions are something TLG will probably never damage, and
that's just fine with me because it lets me get the pieces I want
while making enough to support my hobby.  If TLG ever caught a clue
and started doing at least some bulk selling, I'd be worried (but only
a little - they wouldn't do everything, and I could specialize), but
they won't, so I'm not.

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/  (discontinued thru Holiday season)
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 ext 222 (S@H Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - Focused discussion groups for LEGO fans worldwide