 General / 13342
13341  |  13343
Subject:
Interesting observations... (TLG business/marketing practice)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 08:49:20 GMT

I have noticed 2 things about this years lego:
1.TLG normally releases sets in about 2 batches: january and july. TLG
seems to be doing everything possible to keep the details of the july
sets for this year secret for some reason, probobly because people might
hold off spending money on the juniorised january stuff if they knew
that cooler, non junorised stuff is coming out in july. This brings me
to my second point:
2.TLG seems to be releasing the stuff this year (and also previous years
of late) mostly in order of junorisation, with the most junorised stuff
(arctic, city, castle etc) first and the cool non junorised stuff (tech
build, dino adventurers etc) later in the year. Starwars seems to fit
the bill as well with the small sets coming out early so that they can
start making TLG money whilst people are still interested in SW (TPM is
going to be appearing on video soon, I guess) and then they are
releasing the large sets (UCS, falcon, mtt,aat) later in the year. It
stinks because at the best time to buy lego  (The post christmas sales)
the coolest sets are not available. I want the falcon now whilst there
is a 30% off all lego sale, not in 6 months when the price has gone
right back up.

Another thing is that TLG is one of the few companies on earth that
ignore ideas that would generate profit. Take the train windows parts
deal for example, there were people who were prepared to pay 3 times the
cost to make them to get the train windows and doors that they wanted.
TLG makes 200% of the cost for the parts after the cost to make them has
been refused. And this was for a very large order... Accually I think
this is more to do with the fact that TLG does not produce train window
glass in clear and has not since 4552 (in a train set anyway, they might
have used it in other sets since then but they do not manufacture the
element at this time for any current set) The glass did appear in a few
MT sets and also in 3225 but that was in clear light blue and not clear.
My guess is that TLG does not currently produce this element in clear
and does not want to start doing so, even given the offers made by the
train fanatics.

--
Jonathan Wilson
wilsonj@xoommail.com