 General / 13337
Re: NFPA article
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 02:35:51 GMT

James Powell wrote:

Oh, yes, I agree. My point is that the fire was large. If the fire
suppression had really been first first first rate, the fire would have
been small, because it would have been suppressed quickly.

Larry (or anyone else who can pipe up with info) could you recap what happened?
I thought, from what little I remember about the post, that it was a
"offstage" (non public) area that had the fire, and as was above, the smoke did
the damage.  (most deaths/cost from fire are from smoke,not heat)

James

Everything I say is hearsay that I am repeating and I will not attribute
the source. As I understand it, the LIC has a storage area which is,
essentially, under the store. This storage area is connected to the
are underneath the public deck on the south side, you can see them as
you come in, and a lot of stores have similar arrangements, but for
whatever reason, the LIC is very close to the loading dock, way closer
than just about every other store).

The LIC is on the bottom floor of the public part of the mall and the
storage area is underneath it. There is a freight elevator that pops up
basically out of the middle of the floor in the store that connects
directly into the center of this storage area. That was used for
restocking.

I speculate that one reason that the LIC has an underground storage area
is that it basically *has* no public level "back room". If you've been
there, you know what I mean. Their entire space, except for one very
small office, is retail space, or play area, and it sits out in the
middle of 4 aisles. This was done deliberately as it is a feature of the
mall. (cf the giant bricks on the south driveway as you come in). So
they need some other arrangement for stock storage.

It's a big area. I had heard 50 x 25 as the size of the storage area. I
had heard other numbers. I dunno. But I was told it's big. Hearsay is
that it is crammed full, or was... to the rafters so to speak, with
sets, including some older ones...

Apparently one night after closing, a fire started (speculation is that
a bulb was too close to some boxes or some such) in the storage area. A
great deal of the sets melted together, literally, from the heat. ALL of
them were smoke damaged. I have seen some of the melted bricks. Pretty
bizarre (although probably not art, per se :-) ). No comment on who
showed me.

I opine that you could smell the smell of burnt ABS in that whole end of
the mall for several weeks afterward.

Given the number of melted sets, my supposition is that the fire burned
for a while before it was suppressed. Given that they took basically
everything out of the storage area down to bare walls and dumpstered all
of it,  per hearsay, I assume everything was damaged.

Hearsay has it that the storage area has been redone with new shelving
and stuff is not as crammed in there as it was.

If captured, I will deny having said any of this. In fact this post
never happened. Hope that helps