 General / 13132
Re: Swearing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 18:27:59 GMT

Laura Gjovaag <tegan@eskimo.com> wrote:
All of those are subjective terms.
Are they really?

Yes. Look them up in a dictionary -- you'll find all sorts of words like
"perception", "taste", "regarded".

The language is clear enough to me.  If it is likely to be considered any
of those terms by a majority of people in a social group, in this case a
social group that involves children and their parents, then it is
unacceptable.

"likely" "considered" "majority of people" "social group" "in this case".

I'm smart enough to figure that out, so are most of the people who post
here.  Are you telling me that there are people here who are unable to
figure out such a basic concept?  Do we have to compile a list of "taboo"
words for the folks who can't think for themselves?  That's very sad.  I
thought fans of LEGO were smarter than average.

Smartness doesn't come into it. Anyway, insulting people's intelligence is
abusive and defamatory. And it's a fairly poor discussion tactic.

"Think for themselves", by the way, is another expression of subjectivity.

(-> lugnet.off-topic.debate)