 General / 13053
Re: Introducing LEGO Direct
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 18:48:24 GMT

Farlie,A wrote:

In lugnet.general, Alex Farlie writes:

I'm sorry but I personally would have to respectfully disagree with modelling
millatry items on ethical grounds. Modelling classic items maybe. It is one
thing I admire about The Lego Group  is that it has not resorted to modelling
"war" toys.

These are some feeling in relation to the followups to this message.

I belive that The Lego Group should not model war-toys.
Some people claim that variou elements within current range go against this, I
don't agree.  Castle,Adventures, Wild West etc should be regarded as FICTIONAL
scenarios which "should" have little impact on childrens views. The jury I
belive is still out on whether fictional violence encourages actaul Violence.

Perhaps if through Lego Direct or other iniatives The Lego Group could clarify
it position on this issue.

Additonaly I belive that acted conflicts in childhood may discourage real ones
if things are adequatly explained to them. ( I think that PlayMobil people were
once used in aiding children that had been involved in abuse cases. No nobody
could dismiss that as being wrong.) It is also a thought of mine that parents
should be prepared to assist thiwer children in some play with Lego in order to
explain some of the "moral" concerns they may have.

Also children are smarter than you think and sometimes will know that something
is just play. Of course on the other hand they may be those that cannot tell
the difference( and I respectfully agure this in point raised.)

In relation to KKK's witness to WWII, I belive that it is a private matter to
him and his family and that we should not dig to deeply. If anoyne from the
family wishs to speak publicly then I feel that we should give them the respect
they deserve.

Alex Farlie

BEng Computing Student
Dept of Computing
City University.
Northampton Sq
London
EC1V OHB

Ideas and opinions contatined in this posting are by Alex Farlie a Student at
City University and are not nessacrily the opinions of that instution.

Since I was the one that brought up the question about whether TLC no war toy
policy was possibly based on WWII and the Nazis overrunning Denmark, I wasn't
asking for any explanations from the family.  First off, KKK was born well after
the end of the war.  And his grandfather and father (Ole Kirk and GKC) are no
longer alive.  So that point is moot.  But I did wonder whether the scars of
history have anything to do with this decision from a Danish or Billund persective,
as opposed to a Christiansen/Kristiansen perspective.  Just wondering out loud.

Gary Istok