 General / 12868
12867  |  12869
Subject:
Big Lego Christmas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 06:18:09 GMT

Christmas this year was pretty amazing, Lego-wise.  I had to share this
with someone, and no one else around here would quite appreciate it...
so, why not LUGNET?

Here's the Lego that I was given for Christmas this year:

  Technic
     8248 Forklift
     8252 Beach Buster
     8504 Jet

  Train
     4515 Straight Tracks
     4533 Train Track Snow Remover
     4553 Train Wash
     4556 Train Station
     4557 Freight Loading Station
     4563 Load N' Haul Railroad
     4565 Freight & Crane Railway

  Adventurer
     5925 Pontoon Plane
     5986 Amazon Ancient Ruins

  Basic
       818 Wheel-wind motor  - MIB!
  39x 1555 Santa Claus - all 39 still in polybags!
      3033 {Unnamed 1200-piece brick tub}

  Radio Control
     5600 Radio Control Racer

  Town
     6453 Com-Link Cruiser
     6462 Aerial Recovery
     6463 Lunar Rover
     3438 McDonalds Drive Thru
     3438 McDonalds Drive Thru

  Star Wars
     7101 Lightsaber Duel
     7110 Landspeeder
     7111 Droid Fighter
     7128 Speeder Bikes
     7171 Mos Espa Podrace
     7150 TIE Fighter & Y-wing

  Books
     Knudsen - The Uofficial Guide to LEGO Mindstorms
     DK - Build Amazing Animals
     DK - Build Amazing Figures

I took a picture.  It's at:
  http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/~evard/lego/pictures/christmas_1999.jpg

That's 26 sets, not including the 39 santas. 65 total, plus apparently
there are a few more on the way.  Needless to say, I didn't get much
else this year.  Which is fine.

This year, in September, I gave my wife a list of sets that I promised
not to buy.  Everyone who couldn't figure out what to get me asked her
what to get, and she coordinated a few S@H orders as well (hence the
McDs sets.)  It helps that my wife believes that Lego is a good thing
for me...

The 39 1555 Santas are the most amazing thing.  She apparently found them
at a garage sale this summer, from some teacher who was retiring and
liquidating an inventory of stuff that she gave to students.  So I now have
39 of them, sealed.  I'm not sure quite what to do with them, but I'm
thinking I'll keep at least 30 sealed for when my son is a few years older,
then we'll open them all and use them as christmas ornaments on the tree.

The DK books are surprisingly good.  One of my relatives found them
somewhere obscure, although I see that they're also at S@H.

So, the strategy of making a "i wont buy it" list worked really well.  The
only problem with this is that if I want to do it next year, I have to make
a list of things I won't buy that other folks can find, which means
swearing off a bunch of the Year 2000 Lego sets for another 12 months.  Hm.

  -r'm

Remy Evard,  Argonne National Laboratory
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~evard   - Sorry, no Lego pages up yet
Supercomputing and systems administration by day, AFOL by late night