 General / 12578
Re: Introducing LEGO Direct
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 07:45:58 GMT

Mike Stanley <cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com> wrote in message
news:slrn85va6k.4aj.cjc@zelda.ns.utk.edu...

<snip>

TLC lost its moral high ground on not modelling war toys a LONG time
ago.

Otherwise we wouldn't have six shooters and rifles (that are
essentially the same today as they were a hundred years ago) in the
Wild West theme.

Spear = sword = musket = six shooter = rifle = light saber = ...

You can't be a little pregnant and you can't only make "some" war
toys and not others and claim to (or be praised for) only make
nonviolent toys.

Just to support that, Look at the pages from brickshelf:

http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/1997/c97tr/c97tr-24.html
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/1997/c97tr/c97tr-26.html
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/1997/c97tr/c97tr-27.html
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/1997/c97tr/c97tr-28.html

Those are pages from 1997 Turkish catalog. And these below are the
translation of the speech in the bubbles:

"We will attack him from both sides!"
"Alarm! We are under attack!"
"Target locked"
"Target destroyed"
"We've been shooted"
"Mission is finished, spaceship has been destroyed"

Seems pretty non-violant and anti-war, isn't it?..:-)

Sorry to nitpick - I personally love the weapons and such, but I
have to laugh when I see people say they don't want to see tanks or
M16's but don't mind swords and knives (or rifles).

I just can't stand .."Me too"..:-)

Selçuk