 General / 12088
Re: Introducing LEGO Direct
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 23:33:20 GMT

And in fact when I was a child (not that long ago, born in 1974) Lego sets
weren't all that conflict oriented either.  The space sets of the time had
no weapons for instance.  The first set with a fighting theme that I can
think of is the yellow castle (it came with swords).  There was nothing like
Star Wars or the modern space legos.

Now we used to have methods for making guns, etc, out of Lego pieces, but it
required building and some imagination.

I also don't see what is conflict oriented about large earth moving
vehicle-type sets.  A lot of the town sets that my brother and I had were
tractors, cranes, etc (we also had the fire and police oriented stuff, and
quite a few airplanes/airports).

I had two close friends who were girls when I was in lower school, and they
were both into Lego as well.  One fit into the tom-boy stereotype, but the
other didn't.

alex

"Ray Sanders" <rsanders@gate.net> wrote in message
When these young people walk out into the real world, they will find
that not everyone is testosterone-driven, regardless of their gender.
Gender and aggressive behavior do not line up evenly. I have known
aggressive females and pasive/gentle males. While we are using gender to
spotlight the problem (with set design), it is not necessarily a gender
oriented issue.

Ray

Matthew Miller wrote:

A good point. And arguably (perhaps unfairly, but that's a further • debate) a
traditional male testosterone-driven worldview. Why does "play" mean
"conflict"?

--
Matthew Miller                      ---> • mattdm@mattdm.org
Quotes 'R' Us                       ---> • http://quotes-r-us.org/