 General / 11467
Re: COMPLETE LIST OF NEW SETS FOR 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 12:30:48 GMT

In lugnet.general, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.general, Mark Lindsey writes:
In lugnet.announce, Huw Millington writes:
A correspondent has sent me this list, taken from the international
retailers catalogue.

Scans of interesting pages showing new sets can be seen at:

http://www2.pncl.co.uk/~huw/lego

There are a few not shown on the scans there, which will be added hopefully
by the end of today, to the 2000 page at www.brickset.co.uk

Huw

Hooray for Huw for posting the scans!  I think they were great, and anybody
that had a problem with them has too much time on their hands.  TLC doesn't
need any of us to be concerned with protecting them.  They are a very wealthy
multi-national company that would not fold even if every LUGNET user all of
the sudden decided Mega-Blocks were better and bought only Mega-Blocks.  For
those of you thinking that acting timid will get TLC to release certain parts
assortments or whatever GET REAL.  TLC does not need to customize their plans
for 500 AFOLs who want a certain assortment to come out.  For all the power • of
the Star Wars juggernaut even its official fan club has trouble getting • things
thousands of fans clamor for and millions would buy.  AFOLs don't have near
those numbers or buying power, so acting timid is the worst thing you can do.
If you want something stand up for yourselves and yell for it; be it scans of
a catalog or parts assortments or continuation of a theme or whatever it is
you want.  For those of you thinking that TLC needs us to protect their
marketing strategies, has LEGO posted on this?  Will they ever?  Do they even
care?  I think the answer to all of the above is a resounding NO!  The sets
will be on the shelves in my town, I am told, in two weeks so who cares if a
scan of a set is posted.  TLC should be called to task for a website so
worthless in terms of real information that a TRU stockboy  is more informed
about upcoming stuff (no offense stockboys).  What Huw and Kevin Loch and • Todd
Lehman and many others do is take matters into their own hands and share • info,
provide a forum for disscussion, etc. rather than wait for TLC to do it, • which
they never will.  This is my two cents on it and I welcome all comments from
those that think I am crazy or right on the mark, and if any TLC employee is
actually out there and reading this PLEASE post as to why your job is now in
jeopardy because of Huw's post.  Again people this is LEGO not life.  They • are
plastic bricks.  If you think this is a problem email me and I will forward
about a hundred real news stories that will have you in tears because of real
human suffering.  This is insane and has gone way too far.

I agree. LEGO definitely doesn't need our support, because otherwise they
would've taken us much more seriously.
I mean, c'mon, TLC can find LUGNET easily - it's probably the second that
comes up in -any- search motor, after themselves, but obviously, they don't
care. So why should we take in account what they might or might not think,
when, I'm pretty sure, they don't think anything, because they haven't even
considered reading LUGNET?

I think putting up info about new sets does no harm to TLC. In fact, probably
the opposite - people plan ahead, and save money for sets they know they'll
want... people see sets are about to be discountinued (maybe that wasn't
included, I don't know) and rush to buy them... I think you get the picture.

All in all, I don't see a *real* reason for Huw removing the pics and info
from his site. (and even before I had a chance to see them... :-(  )

Well, that's just my opinion.

Bye,
Shiri

Hey, everyone I have been collecting legos for years myself and I have never
complained about their service. I had friends that work for lego and they said
TLC does what they want and they should do what they what. They have produced
great sets for everyone, it is up to the collector to expand on anything
extra.If you need a specific part or set find it, or brush it off and start a
new project. I have been building my own sets for years and I never went crazy
looking for a part I needed, if I did not have it I went on to a differet
project. We all have to understand that these are toys (plastic) and they were
made for kids. If we want to continue to be collectors we have to respect TLC
and give them some credit, not complain about when the 2000 sets are coming or
what they came out with for sets. For the last few years I have not liked some
of the themes, but I still bought them. I don't even buy the new sets untill
the catalog comes to my door,which will be most likely in March. Lets all just
make the best of what we have. Legos are a big part of my life, but they are
not my life.

Sincerely,

Jim Piccuito