 General / 11463
Re: 2000 Dealer catalogue Removal Request Backfire?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 10:15:56 GMT

I could reply to most of the post, but I'm hoping to get this entire thread to die
down until we hear from TLC.

Todd Lehman wrote:

Again, until I specifically see something from TLC saying NOT to distribute
the pics, I see nothing wrong with it whatsoever.

You don't see anything wrong with defecating all over a company's publicity
and intellectual property rights regarding information which was, up until
two days ago, a trade secret.  Wonderful.

There is no way you will convince me that MegaBloks or many other competitors
HAVEN'T already seen those pics, not if their spies are doing their jobs
properly.  That no longer makes it a trade secret to me.

I've been in too many situations where competitors knew MORE than me about
something in a company I worked at, in positions where I SHOULD have the info very
early on.  I fully EXPECT TLC to EXPECT the competition to have the info early
(because if they aren't that paranoid, they are TRULY doomed).  If they thought
having these pics out on the net were that detrimental *at this date*, they most
likely would have delayed the catalog even further.  If they have a clue,
anyways.  The only damage that can be done (in my mind, anyways) - competitor's
finding out- has happened long ago, I'm sure.

And I'm hoping at least someone there has a clue about the web, so that Lego is
still around in a few years.  They SURE are getting a TON of free publicity in
this flap.  I'm sure their Marketing dept is just crying over the NON-money they
had to spend to get their sets posted all over the globe and pored over by rabid
fans.  I'd love to work in Marketing for TLC - just "leak" stuff "ahead of time"
(right on the schedule YOU want, but make it seem early), and BAM, publicity on a
shoestring budget.

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/