 General / 11450
Re: 2000 Dealer catalogue Removal Request Backfire?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 09:21:43 GMT

Um, yeah, what he said (i.e., a METOO post).  Todd - some of your posts come across
as you "handing the message down from on high".  I know you don't mean to seem that
way, but you are coming across that way in some of your posts.

Let's just lay off all the preaching from either side, and wait to hear from TLC.
I PERSONALLY would prefer to see something posted on lego.com, so that we can point
people to it in the future if new "illegal" scans show up (assuming TLC says not to
post them - they may not give a damn).

Richard Marchetti wrote:

In lugnet.general, Todd Lehman writes:

Huw made a mistake, but he also had the intelligence to realize this and the
moral integrity to do something about it.

May the gods love you, Todd.

Do you have any idea how such a statement reads?  From my view, very
moralizing and very much adopting a parental voice. I'm sure you intend for
this to be complimentary, but its quite backhanded at best.  Basically, its
about as moralizing and parental as this tedious post of mine that you are
reading right now!

=)

You probably know Huw a thousand times better than I, and I should probably
just leave well enough alone (as something of a newbie/outsider to Lugnet),
but the tone of your words is all wrong to my eyes.  I was going to write to
you privately, but I guess its best out in the open for right now.

Can't we just observe that Huw changed his mind about what he had done and
leave it at that?  I respected him the same before and after the scans scandal-
- frankly, I'm rather ambivalent about the whole thing. Huw merely did what he
thought best in both instances.

You, Todd, have other views on the subject and I respect them as such.  You
know about things that I don't know about; you have access to information that
I do not have access to.  You may even have motives that are selfless and
benefit us all in some way, and perhaps these motives direct your actions.  I
respect that and I thank you. But no more or less than I thank Huw or Kevin
Loch for their participation in all this internet madness so useful to the
rest of us.

I think both you and Huw are aces!  Its just that Huw doesn't talk down to you
in public does he?  At least I have not seen it.  If anything, he treats you
deferentially. If you want to assert that we are conversing, virtually, in an
open forum without leaders as such; then I would suggest that the tone you
occasionally adopt is counterproductive to your own goal. I hope you can see
what I am trying to express here...

I am sure that everyone's backs are starting to feel pressed up against the
wall a little too much to keep a civil tongue.  I am sorry that everyone is
feeling stressed about the matter.  Maybe its time to let the matter rest, at
last!  After all, no one expects us Lugnuts to police the internet for scans --
if anyone cared to, its certainly TLC's job and not ours...

We owe each other, all of us, more respect than to be at each other's throats
over something soon to be made very trivial by the mere passage of a few weeks
of time. Let's not go around calling each other "losers" and such.  Do not the
Lego ties that bind, bind us more deeply towards cooperation than enmity?

I am pleased whatever the outcome.  Thanks to all.

-- Richard (trying, and probably failing, to respect everyone's views)

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/