 General / 11445
Re: 2000 Dealer catalogue Removal Request Backfire?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 09:05:39 GMT

In lugnet.general, Selçuk Göre writes:
Huw made a mistake,  <snip>

This is not fair. Nobody sure that it was a mistake rigt now. It's been
suggested that it MIGHT BE a mistake, since nobody knows anything about the
(consistent) policy of TLC about vendor catalogs.

Well, let's get something straight here first:

1.  TLC's policy about vendor/retailer catalogs is only half of the issue.
    It doesn't take a genius to figure out that something known as a
    "retailer catalog" (which consumers almost *never* see) is not intended
    for consumers ever to see.

2.  Posting scans of portions of a retailer catalog -- including major leaks
    about upcoming product lines and details -- *before* those product lines
    have been released officially -- is the other half of the issue.

Those are two separate things.

We haven't heard from TLC conclusively on #1, but like I said, it doesn't
take a genius to figure out that it's probably not really a good idea.  On
top of that, if Suzanne says is something like that is wrong, I can be sure
(without any doubt whatsoever in my mind) that it's wrong.

PS. Todd, Could you please check the message with subject "Update info for
Lugnet Database Volume V" that I've posted last year to admin.database. If
it is not appropriate to publish vendors' catalogs, I think we should do
something more..:-(

OK, I just dug that up,

   http://www.lugnet.com/admin/database/?n=52

and, Hmmm, yes, very good point; we should be extra cautious here, in
retrospect.

Selçuk, to the best of your knowledge, are there photos of any sets there
which:

   - never eventually appeared in a consumer product line, and
   - never were mentioned in published in any LEGO advertising, and
   - contain sensitive LEGO-internal information
?

From the looks of it (looking up about 10 of the sets at random), the answer
looks like 'no' since each image in the DB is a highly-cropped scan showing
simply a photo of the box -- nothing sensitive or secret.  I'll go through
them in more detail tomorrow.  Maybe others can have a look too and see if
there's anything questionable.

Thanks for bringing it up,

--Todd