 General / 11290
Re: COMPLETE LIST OF NEW SETS FOR 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 04:58:05 GMT

In lugnet.general, Richard Franks writes:

TLC doesn't
need any of us to be concerned with protecting them.  They are a very wealthy
multi-national company that would not fold even if every LUGNET user all of
the sudden decided Mega-Blocks were better and bought only Mega-Blocks.  For
those of you thinking that acting timid will get TLC to release certain parts
assortments or whatever GET REAL.

It's not about being timid, it's about acting properly and responsibly. • Whether
you are a small fan-base or the biggest in the world - the rules don't change.

Why must there be a "rule"?  This is toy collecting and we are a very, very
small market, in the giant pond of toy manufacturing.

The best way to get TLC to release the kinda of things that we want to see is
to talk to them, to do that we have to get them to listen. For them to listen
we have to be worth listening to.

Agreed.

One way to do that is to *respect* their wishes, act in a mature manner and
show that our ideas and opinions are worthwhile, as opposed to deranged
ranting.

Yikes, I didn't see myself as ranting, only trying to voice a different point
of view.

Maybe it will never happen, but I don't think it deserves a "GET REAL"!

I agree again with you here. GET REAL was a little strong, but sometimes a
reality check is in order.

TLC does not need to customize their plans
for 500 AFOLs who want a certain assortment to come out.  For all the power • of
the Star Wars juggernaut even its official fan club has trouble getting • things
thousands of fans clamor for and millions would buy.  AFOLs don't have near
those numbers or buying power,

Numbers anyone? You have a point, but is there any harm in trying?

Not at all.  More power to us!

so acting timid is the worst thing you can do.

Again, 'timid' is not a proper description. Personally, I'm glad that our
community has people well-versed in all this - it never occured to me that it
could be a problem before I read Suzannes post.

And therein lies the problem.  Our community is very well-versed and we don't
need guilt trips or morality lessons.  Lego isn't going out of business and no
minifig police have taken Huw away (I hope not, Huw are you still there?);-)

Again people this is LEGO not life.  They are
plastic bricks.  If you think this is a problem email me and I will forward
about a hundred real news stories that will have you in tears because of real
human suffering.  This is insane and has gone way too far.

In the context of life - it isn't that important, in the context of our
online-community it is! In the context of life - having to wait 2 weeks for • the
2000 is not important. Etc etc - do you see why your comparison is unfair?

On certain levels. And largely I agree again.

Cheers and play well,

You too! :)

Back at you.

Richard