 General / 1085
Re: Met a LEGO rep...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 15:57:07 GMT

A bit off the initial subject, but...

Gang, I've said it before, but I'm almost certain LEGO conducts its own
focus groups (including play sessions) with children and their parents.  I
still think Town Jr. and other simplified designs are the result of their
focus groups.  I can't imagine a company as large as LEGO would develop
product lines without conducting its own focus groups.  Obviously, their
emphasis is still on the kids.  If the kids in LEGO's focus groups are
saying the old designs were too complex to be fun, things like TOWN Jr. is
the result.  I'm just basing this on what I know from working in the
marketing/public relations field.

If NFL teams conduct focus groups before making a uniform change, I'm sure
LEGO does focus groups too.  Maybe sales were dropping for LEGO in the
early 90s?  In this scenario, they had to do something and maybe simplified
designs were the result.  Maybe they wanted to market to the younger age
range in that 5-12 category, perhaps feeling they've already lost the 10-12
year olds to video games?

A majority of kids these days just seem to like the instant, but
non-creative gratification of action figures and video games.  I blame that
on television, the parents who look to TV as a babysitter and technology in
general.  LEGO has to compete with all of that.  But I digress...

The strange thing is sometimes what other parents tell me contradicts this
theory.  These are the parents who say their kids like KNEX better than
LEGO.  I've never purchased KNEX before, but that stuff sure seems more
complicated to build than LEGO.   Is that accurate?

Maybe things are going to change.  I read someone's post on RTL, who was
from Europe, say he heard a rumor that LEGO was going back to a building
emphasis -- at least over there, not necessarily in the United States.  I
hope that's true, and I hope they'd bring that philosophy over to the U.S.
If not, it says something bad about the kids in this country.

Sorry for the rambling,
Steve Berry