 Gaming / Starship / 6
Re: Moving boards?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2003 20:56:12 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.starship, Sean Devolites writes:
Sup all,

Now that we got this starship board on lugnet, are we moving off of
creationcenter?  Let me know...

Here's how I see it:

I am a Lugnet freak.  The format and layout of Lugnet newsgroups are my
prefered means of communication (second only to in-person meetings), and I
tend to spend an unreasonable amount of time (and certainly most of my
online time) hanging out here.  So I am a little biased towards moving our
conversations here, yes.

However, currently, the creationcenter boards we have been using are
actually several separate message boards.  Each of these was setup by and is
moderated by a different person...

The main Starship (SS) board by Hendo:
http://creationcenter.com/boards/starship/

The Old-Spraw (original SS) board by Dan (I think):
http://www.creationcenter.com/boards/Starship/

The New Spraw board by Richard:
http://creationcenter.com/boards/sprawcomm/

The Derelict (Grave Belt) board by Hendo:
http://creationcenter.com/boards/gravebelt/

The Helix board by Andrew:
http://www.creationcenter.com/boards/helix_rpg/

The New Pacific board by Richard:
http://creationcenter.com/boards/cnpcomm/

The Reesh (Clan) board by Ryan:
http://www.creationcenter.com/boards/Clancomm/

And then a couple that are not creationcenter...

The USC Arbor board by Dan:
http://groups.msn.com/LSAArborSystem/

The Outer Rim board by JHK:
http://jhkruer.com/forum/list.php?f=2

For the most part, each of these except the first is used by the controlling
Sector Mediator (SM) to offer in-character (IC) communications regarding
in-sector issues that are being announced publically (as opposed to
privately by an action email).  Some of these local Sector boards have
proven to be almost never used, and in some cases what might be intended for
local IC conversation has been posted on the main SS board anyway.

I do not think that this Lugnet group should replace all of the local boards
that local SMs wish to run.  There may be IC reasons (or even OOC reasons)
to keep local communications separate from what the whole galaxy reads.
That really is up to the given SM.  Some sectors do not even have message
boards and operate exclusively by email.

However, as I said, I am a Lugnet freak.  I like that I can make a post like
this and a year later when someone asks a question, I can post a link to
this rather than have to use my brain and hope I type it the same way.  With
creationcenter boards, only 100 messages (or some such number) are held in
memory.  Anything older is lost (and BTW, that includes all of the great
discussion from which our game developed on the original Spraw board!).
With Lugnet, rules discussions need never be lost again.  The only downside
I can think of for Lugnet is that it is more convenient for members, and
that makes our game seem to have the requirement of Lugnet membership.
Still, since it is supposed to be a way to enjoy the Lego® hobby, I doubt
too many players will mind.

So, I am in favor of moving the main SS board discussion here, without a
doubt.  This is why I petitioned to open this group.

Now, lately, there has been an increase in IC comms on the main SS board.  I
am undecided whether we want to include those here on Lugnet, as they are
not entirely brick-related (or are they??).  For now, I think we should use
this group for OOC discussion, and I can keep the current main SS board
around for IC fun.  Again, though, I am not certain if it will be worth it.
With banner adds, faulty reloads, and a design that makes it easy to miss a
new post on an old thread, the creationcenter boards leave a lot to be
desired (unless you expect only a few posts per week, as in local sectors).

So that is my thinking.  As Starship was developed through diplomatic and
creative conversation, and as I am only an elected moderator (from among the
other participants), I welcome any ideas, thoughts, or suggestions on the
issue of how to best use this Lugnet group.

Cheers,
-Galactic Mediator Hendo