 Gaming / Starship / 320
Re: .castle's problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 2003 02:46:57 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.starship, Richard Parsons wrote:
In lugnet.gaming.starship, Andrew Engstrom wrote:
.castle has a problem, that goes without being said.

Hmmmm.  Careful

Mmmmmm.  Again, Careful.  I don't know that we are all that veteran.

Late night post == Incoherent

To offer advice, we'd need to be very
well versed in what actually was the underlying issue (which would mean reading
everything, post by post...

Again, I couldn't make the words represent my real thoughts.  A quick two-mile
jog and now I'm sorted out again.

What I wanted to convey was that I don't see why there should be a problem.  We
discussed this, I think, waaaayyy back; should there be an all-powerful GM (so
named at a later date), or a group of people?  We weighed the facts and came up
with a GM as the best solution.

Then the same issue arose as with CW: who administers the website?  Who hosts
it?  We just volunteered to do what we could.  Nobody is expected to do
anything, but here we are with a web of sites (pun intended) about ships,
sectors, rules, and comms.  Perhaps .castle is entering the Dark Ages...

I'm seeing a superb idea sit and rot while people argue about
I-can't-figure-out-what.  That frustrates me.  I want to build castle MOCs and
post them, but somehow I don't feel comfortable doing that in the main .castle
group.  If there was a castle game, however, I would feel comfortable building,
posting, and receiving (constructive) criticism from a smaller group of friends.

I think that this is one of our strengths.  No high expectations about websites
(we update them when volunteers feel like it, and if someone feels that they can
assist by taking on parts of it themselves, fine), and no councils, just one
almighty all-powerful galactic mediator

Exactly.  See above.

[...]
But even with that, I would not rush to assume it works for other folks.

I see your point.  But why can't it be given a try?  We all agreed that if
something didn't work out, it could be changed at a later date.  I'm not trying
to impose my ideas on CW, but I sure wish they'd consider some of them.

I'd just make your own game, like the original Sector 62 and Spraw, and if there
is interest in developing a consistent backdrop for future games, worry about
that then...

Richard
Still baldly going...

Yeah, I think that's what we'll have to do.  I'd be perfectly willing to help
start off a castle version of Starship, but I'd need help.  For one thing,
certain procedures might not work as well with castle as with space settings.
Another--it would be hard to keep track of all the towns and stations a player
might choose to build.  How would such things be managed?

Well, these are questions for the daylight hours.  Again I say, comments and
ideas!  Let me know if you are interested in a castle game, because I AM!!!!

Andrew