 Gaming / Starship / 179
Re: WMD?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 02:42:12 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.starship, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
Hey starshipers,

I'm a brand new player to starship, just strutting my stuff.  My latest ship,
the EBKD Kalashnikov, will be my vessel of choice.  But it raises a certain
question, in a way, similiar to the "jump ship" question.

The Kalashnikov carries some basic defensive weaponry, but it also carries six
nuclear missiles.  These nukes are specifically designed to be anti-planets or
anti-bases, and are more strategic than tactical.

While I'm sure the missile won't ever come into play, they are an integral part
of the Kal, in design and purpose.  I think other players may think up other
Weapons of Mass Destruction (like starbombs, weapons designed to cause a star to
implode, or planet lasers like the death star - altho these examples are larger
than my nukes).

so, what do you think?

Hey Lenny!  Welcome to the game!

I just received your registration email and will be processing it shortly.  As
for your weapons of mass devastation, I see no problem with it.  By the
limitations of the galactic rules, no ship can be greater than High ranking for
weapons, and it is up to individual SMs to decide what that really means to
them.

My own Armageddon Class Battleships (as the one currently in the Outer Rim
sector) carry one such weapon.  Smaller than your missiles perhaps, but equally
feared by many.  Still, I don't expect it to be used, at least not in that
adventure.  But we all have our backgrounds to follow.  (Funny actually, that my
Armageddons are considered outdated and barbaric by my own homeworld.)

Anyway, what I am saying is that you may bring such weapons along on your ships.
If you choose to use them, it will be up to the SM how they work.  Some SMs
might actually allow a planet to be blown to bits.  Others might say that a
malfunction causes the missile to fail.  Still others might say the impact is
off target and only part of the planet blows up.  It's all up to the SM and
their interpretation of a scenario.  But yes, you are free to have them.

Thanks again for joining!

-GM Hendo