 Gaming / 839
Re: Request for Pirate Game thoughts and Player/Ship/Captain names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 18:12:24 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

Before I write my big review of the game, I thought I'd again request
thoughts on the game. It would also be helpful for folks to post their
ship's and captain's names

Captian Saucy on board The Promiscuous

It would
also be helpful if you could point out in an already posted picture of
the game who you are so I can better connect you to your ship. Any
writeups of your ship's escapades would also be welcome.

Where to start?
First was a long and ineffectual round of shelling at the Inca Island. The
three Picachus dodged well.
The Promiscuous then traded several "Are you gonna shoot at me?" looks with
Steve DeCraemer's Titanic which lead to an early (again, not very
effective) exchange of shells.
As the merchant ship hove into view things began to heat up. The Titanic
mercilessly bludgeoned herself agains the hull of the Flying Monkey and
actually boarded her on svereal occasions.
Chris Weeks arrived just in time to kill the Titanic's captian and leave
two sailors stranded on the now escaping merchant (as well as two
ex-Titanic swabbies manning an island cannon.)
In a bold and intelligent move Capt. Saucy cut across the stern of the
Flying Monkey (leaving Chris to sort out the Titanic) and "suggested" to
the merchant crew that they might want to join forces. They intelligently
agreed.
After putting her First Mate, Pirate Bob, on board as the prize Captain
(and renaming the Flying Monkey as the Spanking Monkey) the two ships again
attacked the Inca island.
A much more successful round of shooting saw all three Picachu warriors
fall to either cannon or musket fire. Several spiders were summarily dealt
with and three gold artifacts were liberated, along with two of the
cermonial Inca masks.
The tiny Pirate Fleet made for the distant Imperial port.
The Spanking Monkey picked up a cannon off a nearby atoll while Captain
Saucy attempted to shell the islanders on Islander Island. Alas, the
natives were too quick (and had too good of a to-hit modifier) and managed
to dodge all of Captain Saucy's shells.

At this point the game pretty much ended when the Brickfest Security Goon
Squad (Stephen Roberts) came to kick us out.

A few very quick thoughts of my own:

- I was a little wiped out from my previous work schedule and driving up
late Friday and all. This contributed to slowing the game some.

Most players took the initiative to get things dona as we could unless
there was a dispute. Overall i thought things went well with all of the
other distractions at the Fest.

- I was also less prepared than I should have been (which contributed to
the late start and slowing the game some).

This was no biggie as we all got to contribute to building and setting up.
Part of the fun if you ask me...

- Again, I really should have had a 2nd GM. Next year I will listen to
that advice and not feel bad about a player not being able to play. I
will need to spend some pre-game planning time (some over the net) with
the chosen GM to compare enough gaming pholosophy and ideas about the
scenario islands (the large islands with something special going on on
them).

- As a result of the longer game, four folks made it into port to sell
loot. One was able to buy a bigger ship and get it into play. Two hired
more crew. Another player put into play a captured ship.

- We didn't have enough ports, as a result, the player who put his
captured ship into play kept two ships in play because it was
prohibitive to sail to a safe port (the closest port was the one the
ship was heading too, not a good place to go, and the wind was
unfavorable for going anywhere else for a few turns).

Being all the way across the room from a useable port sort of dictated that
action. Although it was good to see the fear in my firendly pirate
co-gamers (enemies) eyes as my Fleet headed up room.

- Again, I managed to make one scenario island way too tough. I need to
think more carefully about how hard to kill undead should be. Another
scenario island never got touched because no one wanted to tackle 20 or
30 islanders.

I think Lucky Lindsay and the Perforated Pirates would agree with that. And
since when do mummies have LASERS?! (I'm just glad it was him and not
me...)

- I only got two merchant ships out, plus one player (well two players,
Larry Pieniazek took the ship over later) played an imperial ship (I
don't think this worked out too well, I won't have a player do that
again [it was his choice, I should have thought more about the impact of
that choice]). Larry did manage to take over a pirate base (well, not
quite, but he was one or two turns away from doing so, with no pirates
in sight for a rescue), but the base was probably under defended (bases
shouldn't be able to be taken over by the 10 crew of a starting ship).

It sure was fun watching "Mr. Train" Larry P. join in. I will always
remember the way his eyes lit up the first time he fired his cannon at the
seagulls on Guano Island...

SteveC