 Gaming / 368
Re: Brickfest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 02:17:37 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote in message ...
In lugnet.general, Frank Filz writes:

Something I'd like to see is comments on the game from as many players as
possible. If someone could nominate themselves to collect anonymous • comments
if necessary that would be nice. I plan to offer an extensive critique of
the game, and can do that soon, or wait until I get comments back from
players as you folks feel is best.

Either way...I can see pros and cons to waiting and to pre-empting.

I'll probably mostly wait (I'm close to ready to crash for today for one
thing).

Some of what should have happened was expectation management.  Over on
dino-island, Stephen got us to largely manage ourselves -- we made our • rolls
and told you what happened.  That worked out fine, but we were mostly • missing
and such...you might not have liked it as much if we'd been more lucky. • But I
resisted just handling it without you at first.

I actually have no problem with people pre-rolling. If they are cheating, it
will either be enough to be noticeable, and then I can deal with it, or it
will not be enough to be noticeable, and then can probably be ignored.

I mostly appreciated that people took the initiative to plot and perform
their moves. The big problem is that the inititive and NPC ship plotting
sort of got lost. Actually, the only NPC ship which ever needed plotting was
the Imperial Flagship Linday was fighting. All the other NPC ships were
lower initative than the nearby PC ships, and should have moved first (I'll
come back later with a more detailed response to the problem Shiri was
having). I'll also go into more detail on my gaming philosophy later.

Have you written a report for SteveJ with questions and stuff?

After I get some responses, I'll be sending a report to Steve. I think this
may be the first time someone other than Steve has tried to run the game at
this scale (I wouldn't be surprised if there were some folks who had done
the battle game with a few players, but the fact that the GM charts only
became publicly available in the past couple weeks suggests that people
would have had a rough time running the game at the scale we did).

Frank