 Gaming / 1818
Re: Questions about BrickQuest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming, lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 01:16:42 GMT

Has there been thought about incorporating different types of weapon/armor into
the game play?  I'm thinking like sword being +1 attack, long sword be +2 (but
no shield) and armor/helment/shield be +1 defence, etc

There's been thought, but nothing conclusive...  thus far my goal has been a
game that can be taught and enjoyed easily at a gaming con like GenCon or
Origins, and if I were to differentiate weapons, there would have to be a lot
more work in balancing them.  Thus, for now all characteristics are
character-based (and characters are fairly well balanced, although I have some
tweaks to the rules I haven't posted yet.  In particular, a couple new spells
make the wizard more useful.)

I've played with about 6 different revisions of character creation, some of
which involve different weapon stats, but never got one really working and
balanced, I felt.  Some of them got a little discussion on the now-quiet
BrickQuest Yahoo! Group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brickquest/  (Although the
things with different weapons stats I never took even that public... too
unbalanced)

Has there been thought about combining all of the parts of the game onto one pdf
printout?  Basically, include basic instructions on how to build Dungeons, Swag
items, Character Sheets, Monster Types, etc.

Once upon a time there was such a document (before dungeons and character
sheets, actually, but close enough) but I haven't done it since for a number of
reasons, most of which revolve around my convenience--although I do prefer to
keep monster stats separate from the players.  Basically, I figure the dungeons,
swag, and monsters get more attention and cross-linking by being separate web
pages, and I'm not inclined to maintain (and update) two sets of rules.

If and when I do build my dungeon, I will post here to let everyone know about
it!  And then give ideas/comments about its success/needs.

I look forward to it!

Peter