 Gaming / 1724
Re: ESPG Rule Mod?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 06:02:17 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Chris Yoder wrote:
Reading some accounts of pirates, I notice they tended to add weapons to
their ships. Is there any reason why a player in ESPG couldn't add extra
cannons to their ships? I mean, as long as they buy or get them somehow via
the game system. One more canon isn't going to sink a ship. The only
downside is that there will be less room on the model for crew. I'm unsure
if this would break any play balance as all the players could do it if they
so desired. I'm also thinking of add draft as in the draft of your ship is
equal to the class.

The ships don't seem to be truly representative of their real-world
counterparts.  I doubt a cutter would be manned by a 6-person crew any more than
it would be carrying only one cannon.  The rules really should be somewhat
pirate-centric, given that it's a "pirate game".  Merchant ships are briefly
mentioned as having less crew, but I couldn't find any mention of them having
less cannon.  I doubt pirate ships would be much different than Naval vessels in
terms of armament, since they're both out looking for a fight, but cannons are
heavy and they take up space, so merchants generally limited the number to
increase both their speed and their cargo-carrying capacity.  One way of
signifying the difference without stepping outside of the rules very much would
be to knock one or two guns from each merchant ship, while keeping the naval and
pirate ships at their standard levels.  After all, the standard cutter looks
pretty cramped with just one cannon as it is (though not as badly as the Harbor
Sentry).