 Gaming / 1541
Re: Actual LEGO dice...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 23:54:22 GMT

In lugnet.gaming, Franklin W. Cain wrote:
Here's a new, smaller D6!

     Holy cow.  I didn't think it would be possible to make one so complicated
inside.  I've built five LEGO pip dice in the last month or so (with a much
simpler interior design), but I'm waiting until the next MichLUG meeting to
unveil them, along with another surprise, as the only reason I built them was so
Peter's Brickquest game could be played entirely with LEGO bricks.

Since I don't have six numbered tiles, I decided to use six distinct
/colored/ tiles (i.e., the six colors from the color wheel), which /are/
available in 2x2 tiles.  ;)

     I investigated the possiblity of doing numbered sides, and I did find that
certain numbers have been printed on 2x2 tiles, but they never completed the 1-6
run in any particular style.  Scala had two jewelry sets that came with 1-3, 5,
6/9, and 7, but no 4 (I suppose you could try to fake the #7), and Fabuland had
1-5, but no 6.  Regardless, if you do switch to actual numbered tiles, I'd
suggest using the little L-shaped 2x2 plates to ring the plates with protective
studs (to keep the paint from rubbing off).  I, however, will stick to my cute
little pip dice.  That or buy some of those Orient Expedition dice to add to my
collection (what's a few more when you've already got a few hundred...).