 Gaming / 1497
Re: Use of the LEGO(r) name/trademark in game instructions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Sat, 24 May 2003 12:45:52 GMT

In lugnet.gaming, Frank Filz writes:
I think it comes down to how you use the trademark.

And it would be used respectfully.

Using it in the name
of the game will not fly (because people could assume the game was a
product of TLC).

I wouldn't even think of it.  :)

The game has a name (not yet finalized) that suggests the nature of the
mechanism, but does not include the company name in any way.

Mentioning in the game rules that TLC makes an
excellent set of LEGO sets that can be used in the game would be
entirely different.

This is precisely what I intend to do.  The game I'm working on (more
specifically a set of game rules to be distributed freely) could be played
with LEGO bricks or with MegaBloks.  But, why would you want to play
anything with MegaBloks?  ;)

I think giving statistics for official LEGO sets
(such as pirate games do) should be ok, though that can be treading on
thin ice

I'm not familiar with any pirate games, so I'm not sure quite what this
refers to.  Suffice to say I won't even be talking about specific LEGO sets.
This game is much more generic and requires only 'LEGO bricks'.

(I know many authors trademark many of the names in their
stories, and that has caused problems with games providing stats for
them).

Again, this is probably not as involved as any of that.  I'm just using LEGO
as a medium with which to play this game.  That was the design I wanted to
achieve.  The game rules will be available on a web page as a free offering
to anyone that wants to try them.... end of story.  There is nothing for
sale and nothing that I feel infringes on LEGO's turf in any way.  I was
prompted to ask the question however when I noticed that BrikWars doesn't
use the official name in their rules.  Based on further information though,
I think I see why this was done and I'm going forward with my plans to use
the name.  My game is extremely NON-violent, so I'm reasonably comfortable
in thinking that the company won't object.  :)

Thanks for the input!
Allan B.