 Gaming / 1480
1479  |  1481
Subject:
Renaming Gaming group
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.gaming
Date:
Sun, 4 May 2003 21:22:46 GMT

Earlier today, the groups lugnet.football and lugnet.publish.cinema were
renamed to lugnet.sports and lugnet.animation, respectively.  Assuming
no further problems arising between now and a few hours from now[1],
I'm going to also tackle renaming lugnet.fun.gaming to lugnet.gaming
tonight.

Renaming lugnet.fun.gaming to lugnet.gaming will elevate this to a
higher location in the hierachy and make it easier to support subgroups
for specific games.  Like the other two groups, this transformation will
basically go in 4 steps:

1.  First the old group will be disabled, so that no new posts can be made.

2.  Next, the new group will be created and populated with the old group's
articles.  The new group will be disabled initially.

3.  The group name will be updated within the articles, so that replies go
to the right place.  I'll also have to make a similar name change in the
news-by-mail database, so that people who are subscribed by e-mail will
still be subscribed.

4.  Finally, the new group will be enabled for posting.

And then will be a final post-op step:

5.  Make the old URLs on the web interface auto-forward to the new URLs.

Article threading and display of old articles in these two groups may act
wonky for a short period during the transition.

--Todd

[1] The surgery on lugnet.publish.cinema & lugnet.football went well,
but the patient vomited profusely[2] upon waking up.

[2] http://news.lugnet.com/announce/?n=2073