 Gaming / 1287
Re: Some Brikwars Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 20:14:02 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Nathan Wells writes:

I'm staging a TL2 battle against some of my friends in a few days and I have
some questions:

1) What is the AV of a single Blok?

a 2x4 brik weighs one blok ... which means it has an AV of 1d6.  I think.  Oh
heck, I never remember these things.  Somebody?  Anybody?

2) My trebuchet has a UR of 12!  How the heck will any minifig be able to
fire it?

Oh, silly!  Anybody can fire it ... even somebody with a skill of, say 1.  The
real challenge is hitting what you're aiming for!  Which, in this case, seems
incredibly unlikely.  Here are a couple of ways to deal with this:

(a) Near Miss Rules: you should be using your trebuchet to create havoc and
mayhem, not take sniper shots.  Simply load, aim, and fire ... the near miss
rules are set up such that your shot misses its intended target by as many
inches as you failed your skill roll by.  For example, if your trooper who aims
and fires the trebuchet rolls a 4 on his skill, then the difference is 8
(12-4).  Your opponent then gets to pick any location 8 inches away from your
intended target, and that's where the shot lands.  And now we can take some
lessons from history:

1.  Aim at big things (like castle walls, centers of buildings, massive
conglomerations of troops, etc).  The idea is that if you don't fail your roll
by too much, then the miss still lands somewhere that does damage.

2.  Shoot things that are on fire: even if you don't hit what you're aiming
for, you can quickly introduce some havoc-inducing walls of flame and fire.

3.  Launch plague-infested cows into defending citadels: perhaps not completely
useful in Brikwars, but a fun thought, nonetheless.

4.  I believe that a trebuchet, built as a mass driver, does explosive damage,
simulating the massive impact.  If that is the case (check me on it), then
missing by only a little bit might still be enough to do damage.

Now, in actuality, even Timmy shoudl be able to accidentally do something right
once in a while.  So even the numb-brainiest trooper shoudl be able to score a
hit occasionally.  How is this accomplished?  One of two ways:

(1) The wimpy easy way - every time a trooper gets a critical success (the
highest roll possible for their particular skill) it's an "automatic success",
and the trooper succeeds in the task (in this case, hits the target)

(2) The cool, macho way - every time a trooper rolls the highest roll possible
for their particular skill, they get to roll another 1d6 and add it to their
result; every time they roll a 6, they get to add another 1d6.  In this way,
even a particularly dim troops can, through a series of incredibly lucky rolls,
succeed in a task requiring a skill of 24 ... or more!  In your case, a
standard trooper would have to roll a 6 on their 1d6 skill, then get another 6
on their second roll (and it wouldn't matter after that what they rolled -
unless there were modifiers.  And there are always modifiers :D).  So let's see
- a standard trooper should be able to hit their target once every 36 attempts
with your UR12 trebuchet.  Sounds about right ;)

-s