 Gaming / 1221
Re: The Ultimate LEGO Vehicle contest (2000 and 2001)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 11:04:10 GMT

The Rev. Brendan Powell Smith wrote:

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Tobbe Arnesson writes:
I'm totaly inspired and will host one thiw winter.

Excellent.  I'll be interested to hear how it turns out.  Let me know if
you come up with any alternative events, or improvements on rules and
scoring. But, mainly, you know, just have fun!

You bet!

Question though, how many LEGO pieces has broke during your two sessions?

In two years, 3 pieces of LEGO have been damaged or broken.

That's OK.

I'm thinking it could happen in any of the sub-competitions but the
chicken race is due to generating a few broken bricks.

I'm not sure what a "chicken race" is, but it sounds pretty cool.  Any
references to that term I found on the web were from sites in other
languages.  Is this the same as what we Americans like to call a
"Demolition Derby", or what I have refered to as the "Structural Integrity
contest"?

Yes, funny thing, here in Sweden we use the term "chicken race" and since
it's in English I figured it would be the same.

It's when two vehicles race against each other and the first to steer away
is the chicken.

All 3 LEGO elements that have broken or been damaged in the two events
I've
hosted were from the Structural Integrity contest.  You can minimize
damage to vehicles in all other events by using some form of "landing pad"
to avoid
gratuitous destruction.  But I don't see a way of avoiding running the
risk of damaged LEGO in the final event.

I'm thinking of skipping the final event and replace it with something less
harmful.

An option could be to have people build their vehicles in advance from
their
own LEGO colections.  This would make them put their own LEGO at risk.
The potential problems here are that 1) When vehicles slam into each other
and parts go flying, people's LEGO collections would get mixed-up, and may
be difficult to sort-out, and 2) People might get hurt feelings if they
feel someone else caused their LEGO to get damaged.

That's also an option, but not a good one as you stated yourself.

Since it's first come first served with all of my collection I'd rather
see no dead bricks at all and might skip the head-to-head chicken race in
favour for a loop at the end of a hill.

I can certainly understand that, and I'm sure there are plenty of other
good ideas for replacement events you can come up with.

Yep, so am I.

Thanks again!

/Tobbe
http://www.arnesson.nu/lotek/