 Gaming / 1184
PIRATE GAME: New Cutter Record Sheet and other discussion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 04:53:30 GMT

I just spent some time working on a new cutter record sheet. The new
sheet reflects some rule changes:

Cannon fire is -1 at 18" and -1 per 6" thereafter (a rule we have been
playing with at BrickFest)

Grape is -1 per full 3" of range (I'm wondering if this will work better
than a flat -6 which is hardly worth taking).

Small arms and melee charts separated to highlight the different to hit
rolls, also Pirate Captains afforded the +2 with personal weapons
mentioned in the rules text.

Turn order and a table of crew actions has been added (crew actions
table would be customized to the ship)

In thinking about these rules and the discussions about custom range
sticks, I'm thinking that there would be two range sticks, short ones
and long ones. The short ones would be 6 1x4 bricks (with plates to hold
them together). Each brick would indicate the pistol and musket penalty
(as P0, P-1, etc. and M0, M-1, etc.). The long range sticks would be 24
2x4 bricks (with plates to hold them together). They would be marked
with the count of inches and the cannon and musket penalties. The inch
mark would be in a larger font. The cannon penalties would be marked
C+1, C0, or C-1. The Musket (and grape) penalties would be marked (MG0,
MG-1, MG-2, MG-3, MG-4, MG-5, MG-6, MG-7). To make the sticks a little
less cramped, one set of penalties could be put on each side. The short
sticks might even be worth making 9".

On other rules thoughts, I'm curious how people feel about the wind
speed? I'm real inclined to dispense with it, and just modify wind
direction. It might be interesting to introduce a small chance of a
storm (hmm, two possibilities for storms - rain squalls which limit
range to 6" and give ships the possibility of escaping, and big storms
which might cause damage). Perhaps two dice are rolled each turn for
weather, the first causes a wind direction change on a 5 or 6. The
second causes a squall on a 6, if it's already squalling, a 6 results in
a storm, a 1-3 results in an end to the squall. Or the squalls could
just be factored into the weather chart. In fact, the more I think about
it, the more I'm thinking of then writing a program which just rolls up
a game's worth of weather. This chart then becomes a handy reference to
the turn (the GM would just check off each turn, and there could even be
space for the GM to write in commentary to be used in a later game
summary).

Here is the text of the record sheet:

CUTTER RECORD SHEET CLASS 1

SHIP:
CAPTAIN:
PLAYER:

Hull: small custom Initiative: 2

HULL HITS: 10 boxes
RIGGING HITS: 5 boxes

Crew Actions:
1 to sail, 1 for each course change during turn
2 for cannon
2 to drop anchor, 4 to raise anchor
Damage control, up to 6 men per party, each party rolls 1d6, if the roll
is less than or equal to the size, one hit is repaired
Any crew not otherwise occupied during a turn may take personal action
including use of any weapons carried (a man carrying two pistols or a
pistol and a cutlass may use both in one turn)

TURN SEQUENCE:   Plot movement,   Move,   Cannon fire,   Crew
movement,   Muskets and Bows,   Pistols,   Cutlass,    Any other
individual actions,   Damage control,   Sharks move,   Sharks eat

CANNON ROLL TO HIT:3d6 for 10 or more
+1 Target within 6" firing ball
+0 Target between 6" and 18" firing ball
-1 Target between 18" and 24" firing ball
-1 Per full 3" of range firing grape
-1 Each additional 6"
+2 Firing from land
+1 Target on land
+1 Target is class 6 or larger, or large building
-1 Target is class 1
Worst of these:
+1 Target is Hull
-2 Target is Hull while crossing the T
-3 Target is boat or canoe

+1 Crew includes Pirate captain, red coat, blue coat
+1 Expert gunner

Rolling 3 ones - cannon blows up killing crew (including captain!).
Rolling 3 sixes (if penalties not worse than -5) disabled the rudder or
wheel (no further damage roll).

HULL DAMAGE:

3-9 1 Hull hit
10-13 2 Hull hit
14-15 3 Hull hit
16 Remove one gun
17-18 Remove one gun, roll 1d6 even lose 1 crew, odd lose 2 crew

RIGGING DAMAGE
3-8 Shot passes harmlessly
9-12 1 Rigging hit
13-16 2 Rigging hit
17-18 One mast comes down (one masters lose all rigging hits, two
masters lose 1/2 original, etc. round in target's favor)

DECK (firing normal shot, two rolls if crossing the T)

3-4 Mast comes down as per above
5-7 1 Hull hit
8-9 2 crew killed
10-11 1 crew killed
12 1 rigging hit
13-14 1 crew killed
15 2 crew killed
16 Remove one gun
17-18 Remove one gun, roll 1d6 even lose 1 crew, odd lose 2 crew

DECK (firing grape, 2 rolls if crossing the T)

+1 per 5 crew on target
3-10 1 crew killed (if at least 3 crew remain)
11-15 2 crew killed (1 if only 1 or 2 left)
16+ 3 crew killed (1 if 3 or less remain)

SMALL ARMS: 3d6 for 11 or more

-1 per full 3" for muskets and bows
-1 per full 1" for pistols
-2 for cover
+1 attacker is red coat or blue coat
+2 attacker is Pirate Captain

Special characters (captains, mates, other specials) may only be
targeted by another special within 3" unless no other targets are
available.

MELEE: 3d6 for 9 or more

+2 attacker is Pirate Captain