 Games / 215
Re: BrickHeap Wars!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.gaming, lugnet.games
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 04:50:44 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickswest, Amy Hughes writes:
In lugnet.events.brickswest, David Schilling writes:
competition loosely based on Junk Yard Wars.  This particular episode will
be a LEGO Mindstorms competition.

Very cool. I love Junkyard Wars (but can't watch it since I dumped my over-
priced cable). I hope this event will be done at Brickfest, and I hope there'll
be room for spectators.

David and I are going to work on developing  and fleshing out the BrickHeap
Wars format during and after BricksWest. We're really going to
learn-by-doing, and see what sorts of things work best (and don't).

I imagine that we'll end up putting up a page of rules like other games use
(BrickWars, Pirate Game) so anyone, anytime, anywhere can use our framework
to play their own games or develop their own challenges. I'd like to make
the game format into "pay-by-description" thing...by which I mean that if
you hold a BHW session at a LUG meet or other event, you type up a challenge
synopsis in the "regular" format (as given on the site, of course) so that
other folks can use your challenge idea for their sessions. Also, pictures
would be cool too!

What's neat about the format (and this only occured to us after talking
about it for a bit) is that it can be extended to any genré of building, and
altered to fit different time slots and heaps...from microfig with extremely
limited pieces, to space where you are JUST designing a propulsion system,
to soccer/football where you might make a mini-golf type obstical course to
traverse with a ball, and so on and so on...

Neat huh? 8?)

Matt

(FUT lugnet.gaming, lugnet.fun.gaming)