 Robotics / 17254
Re: BrickHeap Wars!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 16:17:18 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, sjbaker1@airmail.net writes:
Matthew Gerber wrote:

We did something like this at my son's birthday party...but with 11yr olds and
on a MUCH smaller scale!  (We even called it "BrickYard Wars")

* We gave each kid one Mindstorms motor, one wire and a 9v battery pack with
   brand new Duracells in it.
* They had access to my entire Lego collection - minus anything electrical
   in nature.
* There was an 'anti-hogging' rule that said that nobody could take more than
   1/4th of the available parts in any one of my 100+ storage drawers.  I'd
   decided not to enforce the rule unless it looked like the hogging was
   causing problems for the other teams...but in the end the kids were very
   good about it.
* Every part they took from the drawers either had to be used in their
   machine - or replaced in the correct drawer before the time limit
   was up (a defensive measure on my behalf to avoid having ten trillion
   Lego parts to put away at the end of the day!).

They only had 15 minutes to build their machine for each contest.

The contests were:

* A straight race over 10 feet - fastest machine wins.
* A 'Tractor Pull' (remember the first episode of Scrapheap/Junkyard-wars?),
   the two machines were connected with a strong elastic band - each sitting
   on top of a thick book - the two books placed 6" apart.  First one to
   topple into the gap loses.
* Hill climb.  I had one of those large grey base-plates inclined on a slope.
   They each had to drive to the top of the hill - any who failed were eliminated.
   Once everyone has run once, make the hill a little steeper - repeat until
   only one machine left!
* Going in a straight line: where they had to see how far their machine
   could go down a 4" wide white line without going off the edge.

I'd planned to do a "crane that can lift the heaviest weight" round and a
"machine that can throw a minifig the furthest" - but we ran out of time...
and attention-span!

It was a blast!  We had something like 10 kids playing in each of the rounds
and some suprisingly creative solutions.

I can't wait to see the teams heroically *pushing* their terminally broken
Lego machines to the finish line, spewing hydraulic fluid in all directions and
bailing out water as they go...or something like that!  :-)

Good luck!

I can't wait!!

How many more sleeps to BrickHeap Wars!

  I think the 3 hour rule is a good idea it gives you too much time to think
so you start improving your robot and with my experience it makes them
worse. And then there isn't enough time to correct it.

Those contests that you used sounded like good ideas.

Anybody need a partner? David?

Phil :)