 Galidor / 8
7  |  9
Subject:
Galidor is like Micronauts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.galidor
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 08:29:03 GMT

Galidor deserves a look.

But naturally we adult fans have sneered at the action figures. But did you
ever like Micronauts? That's how to think of Galidor. I realized this
because Gorm Deluxe is uncannily like Baron Karza.

Galidor figures are articulated by a Technic half-pin with two degrees of
freedom: angle and rotation. Behind the pin are two fingers which click
through rotating positions in the receiving socket. Gorm is extremely
posable; with hip, knee and ankle joints, he can sit cross-legged. The arms
similarly have shoulder and elbow joints; the hands turn but don't detach.
With the same two degree of freedom as other parts, the head is quite
expressive. The only complaint I have is that parts detach far too easily as
you play. The main idea is that all the limbs are interchangeable.  This is
a great number of possibilities *for an action figure*.

(The joint system is also used in Alpha Team: Mission Deep Sea.)

I picked up Gorm Deluxe for $4.  Gorm is the black-colored insectoid guy.
Now about Baron Karza. That was the Darth Vader clone with magnetic ball
joints and firing missiles. Both figures let you swap the limbs around
crazily. Both figures have weird back gear; Karza had one tool socket for
his backpack, Gorm has three.

Gorm Deluxe comes with two wings (or armor plate) and an extra arm that is a
missile launcher compatible with Technic "competition" darts. Like Baron
Karza, you can put Gorm's missile launcher on his neck or hip or shoulder,
swapping the other limbs too of course.

Both figures have a socket in their belly. In Karza it was a missile
launcher that could also accept certain tools. Gorm's accepts Technic pins,
which means you can stomach a head, the missile launcher, armor plate, or
anything else really. The hole also goes through to his back.

Gorm's wings are flexible like rubberized PVC. The connectors here are a
real novelty: rubberized Technic axle! Actually it's thicker than an axle
and won't plug into a gear, but will fit snugly into a peg hole. The darts
are gray plastic covered with actual rubber in the shape of a bug; they also
have rubber pegs like the wings.

The hands are slightly flexible and I imagine could grip a Toa weapon. They
hold the darts loosely.

Baron Karza was doomed to isolation because the magnetic joints were a
separate system within the idiosyncratic Micronauts and he was out of scale.
(There were a total of 4 toys, including his horse and white foe with
horse.) However, he came with two adapters from the ball joint to the
standard Micronaut peg. Similarly, and like Bionicle, Galidor is a world of
its own but with a few more connection possibilities. Unfortunately, it's
lacking some ingredient to make it take off. Baron Karza was just way cooler
than anything in his day; Galidor is a terrific action figure (except for
the falling apart thing) but seems to be without a compelling coolness.

At clearance $3-$4 I'll probably get several more figures.

-Erik