 Fun / Gaming / 756
Re: New fantasy battle rules....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2001 11:07:58 GMT

This is getting horrendously off topic... but what the heck :-)

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Frank Filz writes:
Tony Rowe wrote:

You can check TSR's history of D&D at:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/DnDArchives_FAQ.asp

Hmm...

1978-The Advanced Dungeons & Dragons® version is released and the
Player's Handbook is the first product to be released. The new
rules are so open-ended that game campaigns require a referee or
Dungeon Master (DM).

Hmm, these company histories are never right... First off, the Monster
Manual was the first AD&D book. Second, the games have required a
referee from the very start.

It is actually correct as the Monster Manual was originally released as a
Dungeons & Dragons product (not Advanced D&D), it was re-branded after the
release of the PHB and DMG.

The bit about needing a DM is badly written I agree.

Neil.
(who has been gaming for 25 years, purchased Traveller as his first game, and
has worked for both Games Workshop (pre chaos-spikey death bits) and Wizards
of the Coast (pre Pokemon)) :-)