 Fun / 918
Re: attn: chemists
Newsgroups:
lugnet.fun, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 08:38:36 GMT

"Nick Oranzi" <cheez11111@yahoo.com> mumbled in
news:HB9B36.C7q@lugnet.com:

does anyone know the molecular weight of legos?  How much is one mole
of our favorite building bricks?  Ever since i began chemistry, this
question has been bothering me.  Fire up the ole mass specs and let's
get some data!

just tried to find the formula so we could get the molar weight...

Acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene (ABS) resins consist of a styrene-
acrylonitrile copolymer matrix and a styrene-butadiene copolymer dispersed
rubber phase. These are engineering plastics, with better solvent and high
temperature resistance than impact polystyrenes. Optimum properties require
grafting between the matrix and dispersed phases.

it is hard to find out just exactly how oit is produced
but the molecular weights for the different parts is easily
found:

styrene: H2C=C6H5CH  104.15 g/mol

acrylonitrile (vinyl cyanide): CH2=CHCN 53.06 g/mol

Butadiene-1,3: H2C=CH-CH=CH2 54.09 g/mol

well ..  from this iot should be possible to find the
proper mixture  :)

Happy calculating

--
| lars gjerløw jørgensen | lgj[at]jyde[dot]dk  |
| N55 43.184  E12 32.405 | www.lgj.dk | oz2lgj |